Re: clarification on use of --enable-threads

Aniruddha Jahagirdar wrote:
Why does the compiler (gcc) have to know in advance what threading model is it be used on the
given machine ? How does specification of the threading model affect exception handling ?
Can't I build code that uses threading if --enable-threads is not supported on the platform I am
using (example - alphaev56-dec-osf5.1) ?

the runtime library needs to lock certain objects to ensure correct operation. It therefore needs to know how to do that. Static object construction and exception handling come to mind.

nathan