Re: what are the "primary targets" for GCC?

That depends from release to release.  For GCC 3.4 you can find the
list on http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/criteria.html under the header
"Platform Support".  Same for GCC 3.3 and earlier.
ok, that page seems like what I want.
The only noted difference between 3.3 and 3.4 seems to be the AIX target which has been bumped up for 3.4 (presumably because a new version of AIX appeared)

I wonder why apple (i.e. OSX/darwin) is not a primary platform for GCC (given that GCC is the primary compiler for that plaform).
I guess it is because apple keeps a local branch of GCC with all sorts of apple fixes in them.

Personally, I would love to see the win32 GCC (mingw) target be given a higher priority (although that would rely on the mingw team being more perpared to keep things going) as this target is (AFAIK) the best currently available option as far as a free as in speech compiler for the windows platform goes.