Re: gcc 3.4.1 and CPU optimization

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 06:35:08PM +0100, Zbigniew ?uszpi?ski wrote:
> Remember that default settings are always overwritten by those
> set in command line (by script or user). The aim of this discussion is to
> create default gcc configuration which can not be replaced by parameters
> executed from commandline.

I would oppose such an approach in the official gcc, as it makes the
compiler more difficult to support.  People will then report bugs that we
can't reproduce, because they are unaware of the settings in a hidden
configuration file.

> Ali Imran have good idea how to resolve this problem. I probably end up
> with bash script aliased to gcc which will filter out deprecated
> options, add mine and pass it to orginal gcc renamed to gcc.orginal.

This is the best approach; even better would be to avoid renaming gcc,
and calling your script gcc-zbigniew or something, so that people who
run it are constantly aware that they are not running the actual gcc.
After all, you appear to want to either reject or silently discard some
options, and add other options that the user did not select.
With proper Makefiles, you can change the compiler just by specifying
the value of one variable (CC).