Re: tree-ssa: a weird (mis)optimization

On Dec 1, 2004, at 12:19, Richard Henderson wrote:
I still think that the Java front end should be doing something in
order to indicate that these loads should not be removed, beyond
just marking them as trapping -- or rather, not marking them as not
trapping.  Otherwise -fnon-call-exceptions will suddenly generate
*significantly* worse code for everyone else.

I strongly agree with this statement. Also, it shouldn't be too hard to do this is a non-intrusive way. One possibility would be to have a volatile nop construct that is a use of the result of the value loaded, but does not generate any code by itself. I imagine we'd already have a construct like that for supporting inline asm.

-Geert