Re: Configuring gcc for pure 64bit x86_64

On Monday 29 Nov 2004 17:26, Joe Buck wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 02:23:22PM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> > > But I would really advise to use lib64 - this is the standard on AMD64
> > > as described also in the FHS.
> >
> > Yes, I know, but I don't agree with it. It should, logically and
> > aesthetically have been standardised as /lib with /lib32 for legacy 32bit
> > libs.
> >
> > Consider the (much older) fhs description of /lib:
> >
> > "The /lib directory contains those shared library images needed to boot
> > the system and run the commands in the root filesystem, ie. any binaries
> > in /bin and /sbin"
>
> Since the whole reason for the LSB is to make executable programs
> portable, having /lib contain the 32-bit libraries allows x86-64 systems
> to run 32-bit LSB binaries.  If you want a pure 64-bit system, then you
> don't want an LSB-compatible system.

A single symlink /lib/ld-linux.so.2 -> /lib32/ld-linux-linux.so.2 resolves
those issues. It just feels wrong to have the legacy files in lib and the
native files relegated to a non-standard location. The decision has a nasty
political taste to it, IMO. But in any case, the argument is already lost.

Andrew