Re: generalized lvalues -- patch outline

 >> The average C programmer would not have thought to use this
 >> extension unless they just decided one day to try it or they
 >> actually read the gcc documentation (which I know almost nobody
 >> does).

 Eric> I disagree: *((int *)p)++ was accepted by virtually all the
 Eric> good old compilers: GCC 2.x, Microsoft, Borland, Watcom.  This
 Eric> is a natural idiom when you're manipulating images with
 Eric> different color depths ...

... or doing alignment-optimized copying.  I've seen this notation in
our code, and I'm pretty sure the author didn't get it from the GCC
docs.  It's a natural thing to write -- unless you ARE a language
lawyer and understand the hairy details of precisely what is an lvalue
and what is not.

    paul