Re: generalized lvalues -- patch outline

On Nov 22, 2004, at 5:45 PM, Andrew Pinski wrote:
On Nov 22, 2004, at 8:42 PM, Dale Johannesen wrote:

It was in obstack.h which is not directly directly part of gcc.
It is part of glibc.  The first copywrite on that file is for 1988
which a year after the copywrite of gcc.c, 1987. Maybe it was
originally of gcc but it is no longer.

Maybe so, but the file is included as part of the 176.gcc benchmark, and caused
compilation errors when gcc dropped support for this (mis)feature.

I had forgot one thing is that it was done conditional for GNUC which seems wrong to me for a SPEC test :).

Not exactly, it's true there's code conditional on GNUC, but both branches use casts as lvalues. (The now-available src.alt for this problem only fixes the GNUC branch; presumably, gcc is the only interesting compiler that won't take this.)

And yes, it is wrong for a SPEC test, but this code is hardly
ever executed in the benchmark.