Re: generalized lvalues -- patch outline

Matt Austern wrote:
On Nov 22, 2004, at 12:45 PM, Andrew Pinski wrote:

If it's possible to make some limited subset of this work without hurting C++ correctness, then I think we ought to do it. We don't want to gratuitously break compatibility with other compilers.

I don't necessarily agree.

I understand why that's important to Apple, but I'm not sure it's a mission priority for the FSF. We know that this kind of thing makes for lots of bugs, and I'm sure that a mission priority is having relatively few bugs.

I think that maybe the SC needs to give an opinion, not on this extension, but on the overall goal of MSVC/CodeWarrior/... compatibility.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC