Re: Request for Steering Committee: official release criteria for4.x

Jeffrey A Law wrote:

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 06:23 -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:

Steven Bosscher wrote:

On Sunday 31 October 2004 06:34, Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:

Is there any way for Joe GCC User to get a copy of SPEC? Or is SPEC
proprietary or secret or otherwise non-free?

SPEC is not free.

However, it is made up of a bunch of little programs,
some of which are free. We can probably scrape together
a free subset of something very much like SPECcpu, using
SPECcpu as a guide.

I am not sure all programs are free. Authors of the benchmarks give permission to use the program only as a part of Spec bechmark. That is what SPEC requires in order to include a program in SPEC testsuite. But we could ask the authors to give us permission to use the programs as a part of gcc testsuite.

I think that the bigger work is to write framework analogous (or better) to SPEC.

Very true. But one of the things that is particularly important
is the input vectors for the benchmarks.

However, I don't think we can go wrong building a benchmark suite
based (when possible) on the same code as SPEC with our own
input vectors.

Inputs and correct outputs are provided by the authors. So we could also ask the authors to use the data as a part of gcc testsuite too.

Vlad