Re: Compile performance of Linux kernels in mainline gcc

Joseph S. Myers wrote:

>> The fact that we now use UNICODE quotes should be specified in
changes.html
>> though, as a heads-up in case other users are misconfigured like you.
>> Joseph, as the author of the original patch, would you please take care
of
>> this?
>
> Once the issue that the testsuite harness doesn't set LC_ALL=C like it
> should has been dealt with (I think Mark was working on doing this
> properly, in the .exp files rather than in the Makefile so it works for
> people running runtest manually) so we know that issue doesn't need
> documenting for 4.0, I'll add that documentation, referencing Markus
> Kuhn's page <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/quotes.html> as the
> standard description of quoting issues for those not familiar with them.
> (In particular,
>
> #   If you
> #   can use only ASCII's typewriter characters, then use the apostrophe
> #   character (0x27) as both the left and right quotation mark. If you can
> #   use Unicode characters, nice directional quotation marks are available
> #   in the form of characters U+2018 and U+2019.
>
> from that page explains the policy used: if you tell GCC that you can use
> Unicode characters by your LC_CTYPE setting, you get the proper quotes,
> otherwise you get neutral vertical quotes.)

Very nice thanks! Please, make sure to also have a quick'n'dirty help for
people having the same configuration problems of Andy's: changes.html after
all is our little FAQ for people upgrading the compiler, and it often offers
workarounds for problems in people code (see the long list of C++
suggestions in 3.4). Thus, saying something along the lines of: "if you see
garbage, check your LC_*, maybe it is set to UTF8 etc." will surely help
diminuishing the number of invalid bug reports we will have to deal with.

Giovanni Bajo