Re: Compile performance of Linux kernels in mainline gcc

Andi Kleen wrote:

>> Anyway, this shows that we probably needs to document this within
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html.
>
> Better would be to fix this misfeature. Documenting bugs is usually
> the wrong solution.

It is not a bug. At the very least, it is a feature you do not like.

> From your side it doesn't make much sense too, I bet i won't be the
> only one bit by this and you will just get a lot of unnecessary
> support queries by keeping this.

Not everybody has misconfigured (= buggy) locale flags as you do.

So we have two issues here:

- You do not like the fact that we try to use standard unicode quoting
instead of the defualt kludge used in ASCII. Fine, try to convince the
powers that be that you are right. I'm actually open to discussions with
respect to this.

- The standard UNICODE quotes display as garbage for you. This is because of
a misconfiguration on your side, and absolutely not a bug in GCC. I may
devise many other programs which correctly try to use UTF-8 because you say
your terminal supports it, and emit garbage as well. It is like saying that
you have SSE2 when you have not, and then complaining because the resulting
binary segfaults.

The fact that we now use UNICODE quotes should be specified in changes.html
though, as a heads-up in case other users are misconfigured like you.
Joseph, as the author of the original patch, would you please take care of
this?

Giovanni Bajo