Re: GCC IMA & general future proposal

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 14:04 -0700, Joe Buck wrote:

> > > This is what GCC does currently, but it results in very many
> > > instantiations being compiled just to be thrown away that consumes time
> > > and disc space.
> > Right.  And I get customers who complain about this on a pretty
> > consistent basis.  This scheme slows down compilation time, link time
> > and eats a ton of disk space.
>
> But the alternative of repeatedly recompiling until no more templates
> are instantiated can also be wasteful and slow.
Yes.

>  I haven't yet seen a
> scheme that really wins over what GCC is doing now, if you consider the
> effect of corrupt repository databases, library closure issues and the
> like.
Well, actually a number of the organizations I've talked to actually
prefer the Sun method -- corrupt repositories and all.  Basically
they blast away their repo once a week or so to deal with that
little problem.

That's not to say we should emulate the losing behaviors found in
the Sun system -- just to say that even with its flaws there are
organizations which prefer it over how GCC handles instantiation.

Jeff