Re: request for opinion on alternative operand/operator classification/promotion approach

Paul Schlie <schlie@comcast.net> writes:

> Please consider this a request for opinion on the possible benefits of
> simplifying GCC's present front-end's operand and operation type/precision
> determination logic in favor of leveraging the back-end's present rtl tree
> matching/covering ability to more optimally identify and apply operand cast
> promotions only if and as required by the target machine's instruction set
> definition to enable more efficient target machine instruction specification
> and code generation, by adopting a few reasonably simple conventions.

I find your prose incomprehensible - I can't be certain even what
problem you are trying to solve, never mind express an opinion on your
proposed solution.  Could you please restate your question in a more
comprehensible fashion?  Use shorter/less complicated sentences, less
nesting of subclauses, fewer buzzwords?

zw