Re: Fortran

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:46:25 -0400 Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:

> Tolga Dalman wrote:
>
> >>So in fact to many people, it makes sense, especially say for
> >>initial student introduction, to do these kind of translations.
> >

> > i do not agree to you: especially initial student introduction should aim
> > towards developing in a common style. that is, every CS student in the world
> > should learn the same thing, and (s)he should be able to find tons of
> > information from the internet.
> > i regard programming language keywords rather as symbols than words, that
> > could be ever translated. but that's just my view ...
>
> If you do not agree with me, you are saying that it is not the case
> that this makes sense to many people. I think that is just plainly
> wrong, there have been lots of efforts at such translation.

my point is, it leeds to nowhere, especially in a open-source community, where
there is a special demand on common agreements. so, i believe, a piece of
software shouldn't contain keywords like 'eger' or variable names like 'aaa'.

> If you are disgreeing with the idea, as seems to be the case, then
> you did not read my message clearly. I never gave my own opinion
> on the subject! you don't know whether you agree with me on the
> issue of translation, because I did not give my opinion, and do
> not care to.

if that was the case, then i apologize.

> My point was that this is a perfectly reasonable thing to
> pursue from a technical point of view if someone thinks
> it is interesting to do, and I think it is more useful on
> this list to be inclusive of all kinds of different
> approaches and projects than to reject ideas you don't
> like :-)

i'd love to see more productive ideas on increasing the heterogenity of
software.
nevertheless, i think now you misunderstood me: i never wanted to reject
anything, since i am in no position to do something like that. rather, i
wanted to discuss the idea of translating programming languages.

best regards,
Tolga Dalman