Re: Ada, treelang needs to be converted to --enable-mapped-location

On Thursday 30 September 2004 20:43, Geert Bosch wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2004, at 13:05, Per Bothner wrote:
> > I haven't seen any real reason why the line_table mapping would be a
> > poor fit for Ada, or why there would be any problem (performance or
> > otherwise) with using it for Ada.
> >
> > We use the line_table for C/C++/ObjC, Java, and Fortran without
> > problem.
> > I don't see why Ada would have any problem.
>
> Because we don't build GCC trees during parsing.

Neither does gfortran.

> Also, GNAT already has
> a perfect mapping from locus to filename/line/column,

So does gfortran.

> and you're suggesting adding another data structure on top of that.

We already have that now, too.  See, among others, input.h, EXPR_LOCATION,
and DECL_SOURCE_LOCATION.

Per's stuff just makes us do this in a different way.

> This at least duplicates information.

We do so now, too.

I don't understand why you have problems with this mapped-location idea.
You have to tell the parts of the compiler after the front ends about
source locations one way or another.

Gr.
Steven