Re: Comments on Patching GCC

Devang Patel wrote:

On Sep 24, 2004, at 11:23 AM, Andrew Pinski wrote:

On Sep 24, 2004, at 2:16 PM, Caroline Tice wrote:
Is Bugzilla supposed to be used
to track new feature development as well as existing bugs? (I really don't know; I'm just asking).

Yes Bugzilla is used to keep track of feature development and other enhancements like optimization passes

I am not sure this is true in reality. Look at the last 100 patches posted on gcc-patch. How many of them has bugzilla reference ?

There's also the question of tying gcc-patches threads to bugzilla entries. For example: I posted a patch for a bug, and after a conversation with Richard Henderson, realized that my solution was too simple, and the problem broader than the single issue addressed by the PR.

While I've added a link to the conversation in a bugzilla comment, I'd guess that is not done with most patches and debates.

Somehow, we need to integrate discussions of issues with bugzilla tracking; otherwise, people are forced to search two places, and they may miss important information.

A further question: As I've noted, the PR I addressed has turned up a somewhat bigger problem; should the existing PR be expended, or should I create a new PR for the new problem domain?

--
Scott Robert Ladd
site: http://www.coyotegulch.com