Re: Comments on Patching GCC

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Laurent GUERBY wrote:

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 20:50, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
If patch attachments are to be used as a standard means of patch
submission for review, then Bugzilla should automatically send those
attachments - in plain text and in the body of the message, not a separate
MIME part - to gcc-patches, so they can readily be quoted in replies etc..

While I agree that bugzilla should offer the option to the submitter to flag a patch and comment so it is sent to gcc-patches, I do not see any reason not to use attachments if it makes the live of bugzilla developpers easier.

There was lots of discussion of email clients, I assume that a great
majority of people on this list use clients with decent facilities
for handling attachments (which hopefully also cure the
line wrapping stuff that often mangles patch in body).

With a few patch tracking keywords (eg: patch-testing-requested,
patch-review-requested, patch-needs-improvement, patch-accepted,
patch-approved-with-trivial-change, patch-rejected),

YOu don't need keywords for these, you can actually add flags to attachments, request that a flag be set, etc.

< it might also
help the reviewer job and may be provide a few helpful statistics
for the GCC project as a whole.

Laurent