Re: Comments on Patching GCC

Brad Roberts wrote:

> Bugzilla itself has a fairly nice attachment mechanism which has a
> lot of special handling for patchs, review requests, etc.  Given that
> gcc developers already use bugzilla, why not use more of it's
> features?

Because it is hard to change habit, or maybe people just do not want to.

I have been working on and off on a little script to extract unreviewed patches
from Bugzilla (using the patch keyword + links to gcc-patches in the comments)
that can be used as a robitic patchmaster (as suggested by Ian). It can
generate mails to ping patches, and could be cron'd every 3-4 days (my direct
experience is that more often than not a patch is either reviewed in the next
72 hrs or simply is not until next ping).

It still needs a couple of refinements plus fixing some bugs with xml
validation for which I have been working with Danny B.

Giovanni Bajo