Re: PING: Question: Need to store ObjC-specific info in type nodes.

On 23 Sep 2004, at 18.36, Zack Weinberg wrote:

Ziemowit Laski <zlaski@apple.com> writes:

Please, folks -- this ain't rocket science...

You posted your question three hours ago. Generally it takes at least a day to get an answer out of anyone.

That's nonsense, and the 'attribute data structure rewrite' thread proves it.
Of course, I can't really force anyone to respond to my questions in a timely
(let alone courteous) manner. But I can (and, if necessary, will) hold up
the release of gcc 4.0 until all of ObjC++ is integrated.

I find either (1) or (3) infinitely preferable to (2), and would
suggest you consider a (3a) in which the ObjC/ObjC++ front ends
enlarge the C/C++ lang_type structures (in much the same way that all
these front ends currently build on struct c_common_identifier to
create their struct lang_identifier).  This is preferable to (3) if
the additional data is small (up to, say, four pointers), or if it
needs allocating for practically every RECORD_TYPE.  If it is both
large and rarely needed, your original (3) is better.

The usage patterns would definitely lean towards (3a). I guess I'll investigate
the c_common_identifier/lang_identifier machinery.

Thanks,

--Zem