Re: Comments on Patching GCC

Ben Elliston <bje@au.ibm.com> writes:

> I have to wonder if a patch tracking system wouldn't be a better way
> of handling patches.

I think a patch tracking system would be quite useful for gcc.  It
would of course need some manual guidance.

An interim approach would be a to have a few "patch shepherds" who
would manage the patch queue, direct the attention of appropriate
maintainers to new patches, and ping about patches which were being
ignored.  I think the project has done surprisingly well with the
volunteer bugmasters.  Would it be possible to have volunteer
patchmasters as well?

Ian