Re: Bootstrap difficulties on powerpc-apple-darwin6.8 (Mac OS X 10.2.8)

Andrew Haley wrote:

But this doesn't really matter, because although the shell may be able
to read very long lines, there's no reason to suggest that the linker
will be able to handle them.  We need to fix this bug, one way or
another.

As far as I know the kernel on Mac OS X 10.2 and earlier supported 64KB command lines 10.3 supports 256KB.

There is code in GNU libtool to shorten overly long command lines using ld -r, or use a linker script if using GNU ld, this should probably be taken into gcc, along with proper command line length checking.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com