Re: Odd problem with building 3.4.2 on Solaris (use of as and ld)

> What I'm trying to do is build version 3.4.2 with the prefix /opt/hi and
> which will use the gnu binutils which will also be in /opt/hi (actually
> they are in place already but /opt/hi is currently a link to a temporary
> space).
>
> If I build 3.4.2 with just --prefix=/opt/hi everything works ok and I
> end up with a working version of 3.4.2 that uses /usr/ccs/bin.
>
> However if I use the configure options:
>
> --with-gnu-as --with-as=/opt/hi/bin/as
>
> and
>
> --with-gnu-ld --with-ld=/opt/hi/bin/ld

Just to be sure: are GNU as and GNU ld installed where you tell the configure
script they are?

> Which is what I expect. The --with-gnu-as --with-as=/opt/hi/bin/as
> options seem to trigger the build into assuming Gnu as is being used to
> perform the build as well as configuring the new compiler to use this tool.

Note that the line you pasted starts with ./xgcc.  The newly built compiler
attempts to compile its libgcc, so it will invoke /opt/hi/bin/as and
/opt/hi/bin/ld as you instructed it to do.

--
Eric Botcazou