This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Odd problem with building 3.4.2 on Solaris (use of as and ld)
- From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at libertysurf dot fr>
- To: Timothy Borgeaud <tim dot borgeaud at csc dot mrc dot ac dot uk>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:22:51 +0200
- Subject: Re: Odd problem with building 3.4.2 on Solaris (use of as and ld)
- References: <4151A47D.email@example.com>
> What I'm trying to do is build version 3.4.2 with the prefix /opt/hi and
> which will use the gnu binutils which will also be in /opt/hi (actually
> they are in place already but /opt/hi is currently a link to a temporary
> If I build 3.4.2 with just --prefix=/opt/hi everything works ok and I
> end up with a working version of 3.4.2 that uses /usr/ccs/bin.
> However if I use the configure options:
> --with-gnu-as --with-as=/opt/hi/bin/as
> --with-gnu-ld --with-ld=/opt/hi/bin/ld
Just to be sure: are GNU as and GNU ld installed where you tell the configure
script they are?
> Which is what I expect. The --with-gnu-as --with-as=/opt/hi/bin/as
> options seem to trigger the build into assuming Gnu as is being used to
> perform the build as well as configuring the new compiler to use this tool.
Note that the line you pasted starts with ./xgcc. The newly built compiler
attempts to compile its libgcc, so it will invoke /opt/hi/bin/as and
/opt/hi/bin/ld as you instructed it to do.