Re: How to stop GCC from searching for components in --prefix onWindows host?

Geoffrey Keating wrote:

"E. Weddington" <ericw@evcohs.com> writes:

Hello!

I regularly build GCC for the AVR target on a Windows host
(--host=mingw32) usually with some configured --prefix=X. The binary
toolset is redistributed to other users who typically don't install it
in X. There have been some problems where X on the build machine is on
a particular drive, and on the install machine X is on a drive with
removable media, then GCC sometimes craps out and doesn't properly
locate all the components. Is there some way to get GCC to *not*
search for components in the configured prefix, but preserve its other
search rules?

GCC should already be looking in places based on its location first.
This is necessary for correct behaviour if you have one version of GCC
installed in $prefix and a different version with the same prefix
installed somewhere else.

However, it will continue to search in its --prefix location, after its initial search. (And, there are some things for which it searches for which it is normal not to find the thing in the installed location.) The really bad situation is when the prefix location exists, and contains the thing, but it is not the version you want. In practice, we try to avoid this by using paths with "CodeSourcery" in them when building packages, but that's not 100% foolproof.

Therefore, I, too, think an option to have GCC not search $(prefix) -- relying purely on its own installed location -- would be a good thing.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC