GCC Release Status (2004-09-21)

-- Mark Mitchell CodeSourcery, LLC (916) 791-8304 mark@codesourcery.com

GCC 3.4.3
=========

There are 114 PRs targeted at 3.4.3.

Quite a number of these are usability nits: error messages that are
not ideal, misbehavior in the driver, etc.  Most of these have
work-arounds, but it would be nice if we could get some polish work
done on these issues. Most apply to 4.0 as well.  Examples include
PR17537, 17393, 17361, 13993, 15369.

However, I still see nothing standing in the way of a November 1
release of GCC 3.4.3.

GCC 4.0
=======

There are 184 PRs targeted at 4.0, including those targeted at 3.4.3,
of which 32 are wrong-code bugs. I'm concerned about PR15014 (which
involves label differences), PR 15486 (-fdata-sections vs. common),
and PR 16721 (reads of volatile variables disappearing).

I'm glad to see Dan Berlin et. al. maintaining the Wiki page about
things in GCC 3.5.  I'm also glad to report that it looks like all of
the major 4.0 projects have now been submitted, as desired.  That's
great.  As of now, if it hasn't been submitted already, we're waiting
for 4.1.

Exactly when we'll create a release branch will depend on getting
these projects merged in, the Objective-C++ changes finished, and
getting some of the more important defects fixed.  I'd hope for some
time in October.

We do have some patches outstanding for review, and I hope that the
appropriate people will review some of those soon.

In the meantime, let's keep fixing those PRs!