Re: Obsolete building in source dir?

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 18:38, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > Instead of doing this you could consider to systematically using
> > $host(_alias), $build(_alias), $target(_alias) builddir-subdirectories,
> > no matter if cross-compiling or not.
>
> Except we can't, because the toplevel machinery is shared among many
> projects.  We have to be careful not to change those without their
> permission.
AFAIU, your concern only applies to subpackages which support "native
compilation only". Do such packages exist within the "uberbaum"?

I am aware about fundamental issues with adalib and about potential
issues with tcl/tk based subpackages, nevertheless all of them can be
expected to support VPATH builds, so I don't see that moving their
--srcdir would break building them.

I am aware that some configure scripts and Makefiles apply nasty tricks
such as test'ing for presence of tools in neighboring build-directories.
These checks/tests probably would require to be adapted in some cases.

Ralf