Re: PATCH: web/17495

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> This sounds like an interesting suggestion.  It might be a bit tricky
> due to different versions of GCC having different sets of manuals, and
> I believe we currently do not have any scripting language (PHP,...) set
> up on gcc.gnu.org, but perhaps a Perl/Shell script from cron.
>
> Joseph, you have been the one doing most work on the online manuals (and
> a great job, by the way).  Do you have any ideas?

There are indeed the issues that (a) when a new minor release is added the
links to the manuals for the previous minor release should be removed, but
not the manuals themselves and not for new major releases; (b) only the
user manuals, not the internals manuals, are linked to for releases; (c)
sometimes the set of manuals changes even within one major release series,
e.g. the Ada user manual names changed in the 3.4 series.  The simplest
suggestion would be a script or scripts to do some of the releasing steps
that presently are manual, including updating webpages based on
pre-existing markers in those pages of where to update.  The search page
gets automatic monthly updates from a program run from htdigid's crontab
(not gccadmin's), which might be something to look at to start with, and a
list of which the user manuals are can easily enough be stored and kept
updated somewhere for each active release branch.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
  http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/#c90status - status of C90 for GCC 4.0