Re: Ability to disable URL mangling in makeinfo 4.7?

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Karl Berry wrote:
I agree it is ugly, which is quite unfortunate, but it is unambiguous.
Don't you think it's more important to be correct than pretty?  Do you
have an alternative scheme to propose?  Given that we have only a-z0-9_-
to work with, I don't see a way to do better.

We have been using things like #alpha*-*-* for many years, without getting a single complaint. I guess that's why I'm not too happy about the makeinfo mangling change, even though I can see where you are coming from.

- By making that change, and regenerating our documents, lots of
  external links (from gcc.gnu.org itself and others) as well as
  bookmarks are broken.

I realize that this is a problem. I suppose we could add anchors with the old scheme, so that existing links would not be broken. Would that satisfy you?

Yes, that'd be very useful!

Currently, I am using a simple `sed -e 's/_002d/-/g' -e 's/_002a/*/g'`
for the GCC web pages, and given your feedback I assume I'll also need
 to apply this to all of our (other) texinfo-based documents. :-(
This is not a good solution, as I'm sure you'll agree, because it
creates a needless incompatibility between your documents and everyone
else's, and any Texinfo document that tried to link to yours would fail,
not to mention it makes more work for you.  Can't we find an approach
that we can both agree to?

Are we restricted to the set of a-z0-9_- also for anchors? Given our experience, all web clients seem to support at least '*' as well.

If '-' is part of the supported set of characters, why do you rewrite
that as well?  Could this be avoided?

Gerald (sorry for the delay in responding to this; I'll be fully offline
	for three weeks starting Sunday)