RE: ext-inst.cc Input/output error [RESOLVED]

  Quite possibly you may have accidentally run "./configure" in the source
dir.  Gcc doesn't support building in objdir==srcdir [*], and inadvertantly
configuring in the source dir is known to leave traces behind which can
interfere with subsequent build attempts.

  Anyway, glad it's sorted out.

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] well, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, but as the docs say,
"we highly recommend against" doing this, as it "doesn't get a lot of
testing".....