RE: Can code compiled with g++ 3.3.1 run with earlier versions ofcompiler runtime environment?

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 23:53, Arora, Sudhanshu wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your reply. But I don't understand what do you mean by 'configure gcc --disable-shared'.

--disable-shared is a configure option.  Add it to the command line you
use to configure gcc.

>  I tried this option in my env and it doesn't work.

You didn't give an actual bug report, so I am not able to help.
"doesn't work" isn't enough info to go on.

> Is it equivalent to static option in gcc. i.e will it create static libs for me instead of dynamic libs?

Yes, it will build only static libraries.  This is different than using
-static, because -static will link in a static libstdc++, but it will
also link in static system libraries like /lib/libc.so.  If you
configure gcc with the --disable-shared option, then when you link you
will get a static libstdc++ and a dynamic /lib/libc.so which is better.