Re: Programming Language for Beginners

Paul Brook wrote:

It doesn't answer your question, but you might consider working with the current development version of GCC (what will become 4.0). The interface between a frontend and the rest of gcc is much cleaner there as a result of the tree-ssa work.

Is there documentation of the tre-ssa interface anywhere?

All I see in the gccint manual is a reference that you should be
generating either GENERIC or GIMPLE trees (with  numerous
BUG's and TODO's in the text),  and then the documentation
goes on to "Trees: The intermediate representation used by the
C and C++ front ends". Are these "Trees" SIMPLE, GIMPLE,
or RTL? Since it also talks about writing "back-ends" using
that structure, I assume it is RTL. Shouldn't this be made
obvious in the text?

Which front end would be the best one to look at to understand
how the tree-ssa interface works? Which one woule be the best one
to copy for a new front end?