From: James E Wilson [mailto:wilson@specifixinc.com]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 3:21 AM
To: Rathi, Dinesh
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org; Arora, Sudhanshu
Subject: Re: Can code compiled with g++ 3.3.1 run with earlier versions
of compiler runtime environment?

Rathi, Dinesh wrote:
> I have an application built with g++ 3.3.1 (Redhat Linux) and I was
> trying to run it on a machine with g++ 2.9.x installed. I get an
> error related to libstdc++.so.5 that the library was not found.

You can make this work if you provide a copy of libstdc++ along with
your application.

A simpler way to make this work is to configure gcc --disable-shared.
This will give you a statically compiled libstdc++ which you can link
into your application.  In this case, there is no need to distribute
anything separately.

If you do distribute libstdc++, then you should check to see if this has
GPL implications.  You might need to distribute gcc sources also, or
provide an offer to get the gcc sources.  You might want to consult with
a lawyer on this matter.