This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: SC decision on version numbering: 4.0
- From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at integrable-solutions dot net>
- To: Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Per Bothner <per at bothner dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: 09 Sep 2004 23:57:31 +0200
- Subject: Re: SC decision on version numbering: 4.0
- Organization: Integrable Solutions
- References: <4140A3D3.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Zack Weinberg <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
| Per Bothner <email@example.com> writes:
| > The Steering Committee has decided that the the version number of
| > the next mainline-based tree-ssa-based release should be "4.0".
| > Some people preferred 3.95, but most preferred 4.0, finding
| > Robert Dewar's (http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-08/msg01480.html)
| > argument compelling.
| Let it be said that I still do not agree with this decision.
| I disapprove of any change to the major version number except when
At this stage, it is less an issue of approving or disapproving.
Mark had recently recalled the excellent point that, as RM for
mainline, he makes decisions and expects people to respect them. I
guess that point holds for SC decisions too.
| there is no other alternative. However, this is the last time I will
| object to *this* increase of the major version number.