Using --disable-shared to build non-apple gcc on darwin

Hi,
First, I'd like to apologize if this is a silly question, sorry...

When gcc is built having been configured --disable-shared, it builds libgcc, libstdc++ etc without any pic flags, so on darwin, the fortran libraries, for example, contain common symbols (gcc-3.4.1) and cannot be used as input to ld when building a shared library (.dylib). Also, in the FSF gcc (not the apple branch), there's no comcept of private external symbols, so generating multiple shared libraries (obviously not fortran ones :-p) and then using these to create a program will likely give you errors about multiple definitions of symbols (these symbols having made their way into many shared libs by virtue of being global symbols in libgcc).

My questions is, is this by design? Should we not expect to be able to build working shared libraries with a compiler built --disable-shared?

Thanks,
Peter