Re: How to change bit-field allocation

Robert Dewar wrote:

James E Wilson wrote:

What ever you are trying to do is probably wrong. You probably should say what problem you are trying to solve, rather than asking how to implement particular solutions for it.

I guess that the problem is that he wants a magical way of dealing with
endian differences between processors. Many people want this, but
unfortunately there is no coherent consistent way of doing this.
This topic has been much studied and discussed in the Ada world :-)

The problem is not due to endian differences but compiler differences. I came across this problem when I have to combine two binary images while are compiled by different compilers: one by GCC, the other by SH proprietary compiler. However the bit-field's members are allocated from the lower bit in GCC, while from higher bit in SH compiler.