This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: How to change bit-field allocation
- From: Robert Dewar <dewar at gnat dot com>
- To: James E Wilson <wilson at specifixinc dot com>
- Cc: Min ZOU <zou dot min at renesas dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:19:48 -0400
- Subject: Re: How to change bit-field allocation
- References: <413C4CDB.firstname.lastname@example.org> <413CDA02.email@example.com>
James E Wilson wrote:
What ever you are trying to do is probably wrong. You probably should
say what problem you are trying to solve, rather than asking how to
implement particular solutions for it.
I guess that the problem is that he wants a magical way of dealing with
endian differences between processors. Many people want this, but
unfortunately there is no coherent consistent way of doing this.
This topic has been much studied and discussed in the Ada world :-)