Re: Ability to disable URL mangling in makeinfo 4.7?

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Karl Berry wrote:
I saw two answers, from Patrice and Stepan:

Thanks. I'm not on the bug-texinfo list, and thus missed those.

In essence, sorry, you need to regenerate your documents.

I strongly disagree with the arguments in that thread:

 - By making that change, and regenerating our documents, lots of
   external links (from gcc.gnu.org itself and others) as well as
   bookmarks are broken.

 - The new mangling schema might be okay for machines, but it is
   absolutely ugly for humans.

   As an example, we have anchors of the form
     *-ibm-aix*
   which according to the new schema would become
     _002a_002dibm_002daix_002a (or similiar).

   I really want to retain
     http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#*-ibm-aix*
   which we used for many years instead of using the, far more uglier,
     http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#_002a_002dibm_002daix_002a

Currently, I am using a simple `sed -e 's/_002d/-/g' -e 's/_002a/*/g'`
for  the GCC web pages, and given your feedback I assume I'll also need
to apply this to all of our (other) texinfo-based documents. :-(

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/