dynamic linking question

I'm trying to find documentation on how to dynamically link to a shared
object at run time. I found something that describes how to do it in C
using gcc but that's not exactly what I need.

I need to know the steps gcc takes to compile code to open the library,
get the address of the function from it's name, call the function, and
close the library. Is there a standard proceedure for dynamically linking
to a shared object?

Can you point me in the right direction please or to the person who wrote
the code? (Begs)

I'm guessing there are functions in either the ldd or bfd library for
these purposes?

I'm trying to convert a Forth interpreter I wrote to run on Unix and need
to be able to do these things at run time when the user prompts the Forth
interpreter to do them. I also need a way to get the list of function
names from the shared object elf file if they are in there.