Re: Mainline space problem

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 21:17, Bradley Lucier wrote:
> I found that the example program compiled on July 20 and didn't on July
> 24.

The change that broke it is a cleanup patch from Richard Henderson.
The part that specifically caused the problem is the may_be_aliased
change.  Instrumenting this, I see that the old one returns true for
extern variables, but the new one returns false for them.  This is
because there is a !TREE_STATIC check for automatic variables, but
externs also are !TREE_STATIC.  This seems to be a legitimate bug.

With the attached patch, the may_be_aliased function gives the same
result as before for all variables for this testcase.  The testcase can
be compiled again, using about 10K pseudos instead of about 130K
pseudos.

I started a ppc-darwin build to test this.