Re: Ada policy

It must be some other dewar who said

"we do it this way because the other way is not practical"

With respect to using portable Ada for large projects. I said nothing of the kind. Yes of course it would be practical to write GNAT in portable Ada. It would also be practical to write it in C++, but that does not mean it would be a good idea in this case.

The bogus logic is to assume the following
syllogism which doesn't just have a divided
middle, it has no middle :-)

GNAT is written in non-portable Ada GNAT is a large project Therefore it is impractical to write large projects in portable Ada.

I have given lots of arguments and discussion to tell you
why we decided to use GNAT extensions in writing GNAT. Nowhere
among these arguments and discussions is any hint that one of
the reasons was that it was impractical to use portable Ada!