Re: Libgfortran licensing

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)  wrote on 31.08.04 in <4134F8A8.70301@gnat.com>:

> Paul Brook wrote:
>
> > Doesn't the copyright assignment give the FSF power licence the code as
> > they see fit?
>
> I don't think so, I think the assignment document guarantees that the
> licensing will be compatible with the GPL.

It doesn't, which is why we have a GFDL (which is certainly not GPL-
compatible) and why I have no assignment.

> You don't want the FSF to
> suddenly be able to make everything proprietary

Well, not proprietary, but they've already demonstrated that relicensing
under non-DFSG-free terms is possible - see the GFDL debate.

> (the original author
> has this capability, but it is deliberately signed away with the
> assignment).

It's strictly the copyright holder who gets to decide this.

> > IIRC libiberty only had problems changing the licence because the code
> > wasn't FSF copyright.

Whereas my memory says the FSF (that is to say, rms) simply didn't want
to.

MfG Kai