Re: generic vectors: how should they work?

I think part of the problem is that the term "generic vector" is
being used for both arbitrary size vectors and synthetic (portable?) SIMD
modes.

There are *no* synthetic SIMD modes. SIMD modes are not used unless supported by the hardware, and that's the change that prompted my famous patch.

Paolo