Re: proposal: drop support for ada on tru64-alpha

On 31/08/2004, at 2:42 AM, Arnaud Charlet wrote:

My proposal is to disable Ada in the toplevel configure for
tru64-alpha, and fix the bug.  I would do this in mainline; Mark may
choose to do this in 3.4 as well, since the bug is targeted at 3.4.3.

Any objections? If you do have objections, are you willing and able to
debug the problem? If so, when would you expect to be able to do it?

I must say I can't find from the bugzilla comments what is the relationship
between this PR and Ada builds, in particular since this PR seems to
be g++ specific.

In any case, if the issue is related to PCH on alpha-tru64, then we should
disable pch on alpha-tru64, and not Ada.

No, the problem is not related to PCH on Alpha-tru64. I don't know if PCH even works on that platform. I would characterise the problem as "I made some change to GCC and it triggered a latent bug on Alpha-tru64."

In general I would object to disabling Ada on alpha-tru64 on these grounds,
this will only give this PR an even lower priority.

Now, I feel that I do not all the information at hand, so more justification
would be needed here to help me understand the issue at hand (and once
I understand the issue better, I'd guess there will be better solutions than
simply disabling Ada).

The problem is that when you apply the patch from bugzilla, which is not specific to either Ada, C++, or Tru64, the bootstrap failure described in 13750 appears, a miscompare in Ada.

So, Arnaud, do you have access to an Alpha-tru64 system with Ada? Would you be willing to investigate this bug?