Re: GCC 3.5 Status (2004-08-29)

Richard Kenner wrote:

I think that GCC 3.5 is going to be a good release. I also think that the first release with major new technology (tree-ssa is easily the biggest change to GCC in a decade) is going to have dot-zero properties: it won't work perfectly for all people all of the time.

OK, I'm now totally confused.

If the "biggest change to GCC in a decade" doesn't justify changing the major
version number in your mind, then what would?

I have an answer to that question, but I don't think it's an important question right now, and I've said all along that I didn't feel passionately about it.

Right now, I'd like to focus on getting the release ready. We can have the marketing debate later, if we must.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC