Re: gfortran test runs

Richard Earnshaw wrote:

It really shouldn't be necessary for gcc developers to have to install
components into /usr/lib (or any other system directory) in order to be
able to develop and test the compiler.

While I agree with this sentiment (I got bitten by this situation on my Alpha machine that's not on a network and can't be easily apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade'd), but I sincerely ask the C crowd whether they think they can implement the whole of C99 without extensive support for compile time floating point manipulation.

I'm referring to clause 6.6 Constant expressions (among others):

Semantics
5. [...] If a floating expression is evaluated in the translation
   environment, the arithmetic precision and range shall be at
   least as great as if the expression were being evaluated in the
   execution environment.

So the compiler has to have a way to evaluate the expression in an environment different from the translation environment. GMP offers this possibility. There are others, but it might be the simplest way to get this functionality.

Hope this helps,

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/