RE: Broken link and defunct search

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Dave Korn wrote:
Janis wrote:
Gerald, the page in question is for node "C++ Misunderstandings".
makeinfo 4.7 replaces '+' in a file name with '_002b', and makeinfo
4.6 replaced it with '-'.  I don't know if the obvious fix of
changing the link in bugs.html is really the correct thing to do.
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-08/msg00487.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-07/msg00946.html
[...]
I guess there must be further instances scattered throughout the website.
It should be possible to dig them all up fairly easily by checking out the
repository with the webpages in and using "find . -type f | xargs grep
__00", shouldn't it?

Personally, I consider this an annoying bug in makeinfo 4.7; for user visible addresses "_002b" is just ridiculous to use instead of "-", and in our case possible conflicts between different strings simply are not an issue.

I just sent a message to the texinfo maintainers to see whether they are willing to provide an option to disable this new behavior (or whether there is some workaround).

In the worst case, I'll probably do a big sed over the GCC web pages. :-(

Gerald