Re: Building the Ada compiler... is http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html correct?

Rainer,

Upon Jul 19, 2004, ye spake unto me thuswise, saying:

> It  doesn't  occur  in GCC 3.4 and up, and since nobody is doing
> any Ada work on the 3.3  branch,  I  suggest  you  move  to  3.4
> instead.

I  did,  but  3.4.1 brought no real alleviation.  For one thing,
it's much  harder  now  to  get  going  since  3.4  expects  the
bootstrap  compiler  to be Ada-aware already (3.3 allowed you to
have two different bootstrap gcc's: one for compiling C and  one
for  compiling Ada).  Staring from scratch, as i did, i only had
gcc 3.1 (C, C++, *no* Ada) and a binary distribution of GNAT 3.4
at  my  disposal.  The latter came with a gnatgcc and could thus
handle Ada.

   The  problem  now  was  that both gcc and gnatgcc were needed
during  the  bootstrap,  but  i  found  myself  unable  to  tell
configure  that  gcc  is supposed to be used for C (and C++) and
that gnatgcc is for Ada.  Because as soon as Ada  needed  to  be
compiled,  gcc  would  whine, and i had to restart the bootstrap
with

   $ make bootstrap CC=gnatgcc

This  went  fine  until  the  bootstrap went back to compiling C
because now gnatgcc would complain (actually, it did  compile  a
few  C  files,  but  bailed  out  soon after that).  So i had to
restart the bootstrap once again, this time with

   $ make bootstrap CC=gcc

This went fine until it was time to again compile some Ada ...

   It  worked  in  the  end,  after  saying,  alternately, "make
bootstrap CC=gnatgcc" or "make bootstrap  CC=gcc"  a  couple  of
times,  but  it  would  be  nice  if it was possible, during the
configuration step, to state that during the bootstrap, compiler
A  is  to  be used to compile C (and C++) and that compiler B is
deemed to be used whenever Ada code needs to be compiled.

   After the bootstrap, at stage 3, the following happened

stage2/xgcc -Bstage2/ -B/usr/local2/mips-sgi-irix6.2/bin/ -c -g -O2      -gnatpg -gnata -I- -I. -Iada -I../../srcdir/gcc/ada ../../srcdir/gcc/ada/ada.ads -o ada/ada.o
xgcc: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program gnat1)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
make[2]: *** [ada/ada.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/people/franke/install/objdir/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage3_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/people/franke/install/objdir/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

The   problem   is   known   to   occur   in   3.4.0   as   well
(http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2004-01/msg01929.html).      Any
ideas?

Regards,

Frank

- --

Frank Ecke <franke@euro-telematik.de>, see pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
Fingerprint = 2CCD 7D50 E07E 557E EA2F  7454 068C B20A 20FF C83D

The  following statement is not true.  The previous statement is
true.