Re: [RFC] ARM Floating point defaults

Paul Brook <paul@nowt.org> writes:

> It appears that gcc and gas use different defaults for hardware floating point
> flags. On linux and netbsd targets the default is overridden, so everything
> is ok.
>
> On other targets[1] gcc defaults to soft-float fpa, but gas defaults to
> whatever hardware is supported by the CPU.
>
> This causes a couple of problems:
> - Objects are marked as hard-float by default.
> - Code compiled for armv5 chips are marked as VFP format float.
> Both of these cause linker errors when objects compiled with default options
> (eg. libc) are mixed with objects compiled with explicitly specified options.
>
> Would it be acceptable to change the gas defaults to match those used by gcc?

It seems reasonable to me that gcc and gas configured for the same
target should have the same defaults for hardware floating point.

It seems reasonable to me that the precise default should depend upon
the configured target.  But that may not be an accurate reflection of
the ARM world.

> At the same time, add a linker option that allows linking of objects with
> incompatible flags. This would allow the user to override the checks when
> linking old objects with incorrect flags.

Isn't this just --no-warn-mismatch?

Ian