Re: [Lsb-wg] opposition to LSB 2.0 rc1

On Jul 30, 2004, at 12:58 PM, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

However, Ted Tso has proposed this already to the LSB working group. See:
http://mail.freestandards.org/pipermail/lsb-wg/2004-July/000233.html
Well, we can still make the recommendation.  It's up to the
FSG/LSB people to decide what to do with that recommendation.

Well then.

<queue sound of trumpets!>

Hear ye, hear ye, we the undersigned GCC developers suggest that the
FSG/LSB delay the C++ parts of LSB 2.0.

<some more trumpet sounds!>

Benjamin Kosnik
Jeffrey A Law

<sarcasm>
Maybe we ought to put it in legalese or projectmanagerese terms, so
that the LSB can understand it.
</sarcasm>

The undersigned developers of the GNU compiler collection ("GCC developers" collectively, and individually) being of sound mind and body, do, on this 30th day of July, in the year 2004, register their formal opposition to C++ being a portion the LSB 2.0 standard. Note that the GCC developers opposition to the C++ portion should not be viewed as approval of other portions of the LSB specification. GCC developers reserve the right to formally oppose other portions of the spec at a later date and time, as they see fit. The position of the undersigned developers should also not be viewed as the official position of the GCC project, as set forth by the GCC steering committee, however this is not meant to prevent the GCC steering committee from adopting or endorsing this position. No guarantee of merchantability, fitness, or usefulness of any portion of the LSB spec is implied by any expression of their viewpoint, either for, or opposed to the LSB spec[1].

(perhaps others)

-benjamin

[1] This opposition may be void in certain states, such as Bizzaro LSB land, apparently.