Re: 50% memory, 40% compile time regression the last two days

Richard Guenther wrote:

Hi!

This time I waited 2 days before reporting, just in case it was noise
(or promptly fixed) again.  For the leafified tramp3d-v3 testcase on
ia64 we now need 6.2min for compilation where two days ago we needed
only 3.9min.  At the same time memory requirements sky-rocketed from
about 1Gb to 1.4Gb! (see
http://www.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de/~rguenth/gcc/monitor-summary.html)

Patches causing this may be up to

My patches are certainly significant enough to be causing a problem. I'd be a bit surprised, since, for the most part, they've been *reducing* memory usage -- for example, I'd be surprised if the bits to do lazy allocation of assignment operators could result in significantly higher memory usage. But it's certainly possible that there's something boneheaded in there!

Would you mind isolating the particular patch that caused the problem? That would help a lot. Also, once you find the patch, if you can post preprocessed source code and command-line options that trigger the problem? Please copy me directly on mail that you post about this; I sometimes get behind on the mailing list.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC