Re: Converting GCC to compilation with C++

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

Robert Dewar:

Kai Henningsen wrote:

Now explain how, when you do *the exact same thing* with virtual
functions
or with function pointers, *all* the considerations you listed do not
either apply equally to both sides, or else prefer the virtual function
side.

Of course a particular instance of the use of dynamic dispatching may present no problems.

But of course, you will not consider the issue at hand (this
particular use of dynamic dispatch),

Er, I think you are not reading carefully what I said, or perhaps just misinterpreting. What I said, please reread, is that yes, this very restricted use of virtual functions is reasonable. But then I tried to characterize a formal definition of this use in terms of MCDC flow, and pointed out that this is not very satisfactory. Feel free to try to formulate *precisely* what you mean by "this particular use of dynamic dispatch". Perhaps you can succeed where I failed!

> because otherwise you would
> not be able to recite those completely irrevelant things. :-(

Well I perfectly well understand that you find them irrelevant,
since apparently you don't countenance any formal restrictions
on the use of features, you just rely on the good sense of
C++ programmers (who in your view all know how to use complex
features like MI without difficulty).

Surely you see that to have any chance of a consensus here,
you have to agree on some reasonably limited subset???